The Small Armoury The Small Armoury (Mała Zbrojownia) is a historical element characteristic of the architecture of Embankment Square. It was constructed in the years 1643-1645 by Jerzy Strakowski, the son of Jan Strakowski who was a city engineer. The ground floor of the Small Armoury was used as a storage place for heavy cannons and mortars. The first floor of the Small Armoury was used as a warehouse for artillery equipment. In an emergency situation, it was possible to roll the cannons outside through four big gates. The building was burnt down and bombed during the war. There is a cartouche with Gdańsk coat of arms on the Small Armoury wall. After the war, the building accommodated the Provincial Communication Company of Gdańsk-Gdynia and the armoury halls were converted into a depot. Since 1993 the Small Armoury has been housing the Faculty of Sculpture and Intermedia at the Academy of Fine Arts in Gdańsk. Memories and stories told by the inhabitants After the war, the ruins of the Small Armoury were occupied by children who used to run and play cards there. When the Small Armoury accommodated the Provincial Communication Company of Gdańsk-Gdynia, nobody cared for the historical character of the building. The floor was always dirty and smeared with grease. Contemporary photographs ⯆ The Small Armoury building.
⯆ A cartouche with Gdańsk coat of arms. The remains of red paint indicate the former colouring of the walls.
⯆ The originally riveted door.
⯆ A plaque commemorating the end of construction of the Small Armoury.
Archive photographs ⯆ A post-war photograph of the Small Armoury.